What to Do After an Accident in Gold Coast
Gold Coast drivers are among the many Queensland residents that are susceptible to motor vehicle accidents, especially near the Bruce Highway, which has been voted one of the most dangerous highways in the world by the company, Driving Experiences, interactive map. There are many details to consider in this determination. For example, the reasoning behind this ranking is because of the road’s length and the frequency of other drivers committing illegal overtaking manoeuvres.
What does this mean to all drivers on the road?
Even the most skilled and careful drivers may not be able to avoid an accident. It is important that any driver protect themselves to the best of their ability by being both physically alert and responsible on the road, as well as legally by knowing how to protect their legal rights after they have gotten into an accident.
“I got into a car accident today.”
If you have been in a motor vehicle accident today:
- Do not panic
- Check to make sure that everyone is okay before you attempt to move out of the road. If someone has a serious spinal injury from the accident, their injuries may be worsened if they are moved by a non-medical professional. The only exception is if it is absolutely necessary because they remain in the path of oncoming traffic and may be in immediate danger.
- If anyone is injured, call 000 right away.
- Get some writing material ready to record all the information regarding your accidents. Memories will fade so get as much information down as you can while it is still fresh in your mind. If you have been in a car accident today, pictures of the accident scene or other similar information may be the only evidence of the accident as time passes (such as if the weather washes away skid marks on the road, etc.)
Gold Coast Motor Vehicle Accident Lawyers: Protecting your legal rights:
Our team at East Coast Injury Lawyers recommends the following:
- Safety comes first. Make sure that everyone involved is away from danger before doing anything else.
- Contact the insurance company as soon after the accident or injury as possible.
- Read and understand your insurance policy so that you are aware of your coverage. If there are any terms that confuse you, speak with an accredited specialist in personal injury for clarification on whether or not your losses may be covered.
- Get as many details of the accident as possible. East Coast Injury Lawyers has provided a handy Car Accident Form to keep in your car.
- See a doctor as soon as possible if you or someone else has been injured.
- Keep a written account of any conversations with the other driver, insurance adjusters and any other people involved in the accident and the insurance claims process.
Take this advice from Gold Coast Car Accident Lawyers. DO NOT:
- Admit liability. Leave that issue to your lawyer.
- Give anything in writing to any insurance staff without first speaking to a lawyer.
- Don’t let any time limits address your claim run out. Generally, you have 3 years from the date of the accident to file a claim, but this period may change depending on your circumstances. Speak to a personal injury lawyer so that you can be advised on the best course of action for you.
- Do not accept any settlements or sign any waiver documents you are unsure of from the insurance company unless first talking to your lawyers.
For a Car Accident Lawyer Gold Coast & Gold Coast, Contact Us Today.
East Coast Injury Lawyers offers a no win, no fee option. We also are willing to provide a free initial consultation so you can be advised of your basic legal rights before making a decision. If you need a Gold Coast personal injury lawyer, then do not hesitate in contacting our firm today for a free initial consultation. Simply call us at 1300 720 544 or fill out our case review form.